In 1628, Françoise Le Gouvello married Jean de Marin, sieur of Moncan (close to Nîmes), “Captain to the regiment of Champagne “. As a result of this marriage, he had inherited of a plot of land in a pleasant place in Auray, on the upright shore of the Auray River, in a neighborhood occupied during the middle age by the lepers (“cacous”). Under the reign of Louis XIII, around 1637, the family built a Manor House. Initially, Moncan itself was limited to a building of rectangular plan with an access from the East (avenue of the Madeleine).
Very quickly, the owners enlarged the dwelling space while linking up the principal dwelling to a small existing house. This extension, built in 1685, gave the Manor House a more favorable exposition and a prettier view on the river. This plan in an angle is completed only at the end of the 19th century with squared angles towers, a stairway tower on the courtward… and an access on the road to Crach (currently rue Abbe Joseph Martin).
The families Le Gouvello and Marin remain owners of the Manor House for seven generations Before emigrating during the Revolution, Joseph Pierre de Gouvello would have sold it to Jean Claude Gillat, a notary. Next owners are Nicolas Delorme in 1808, Josias Toussaint in 1853, mayor of Auray, and René Pocard de Kerviler in 1857. At the initiative of the latter, who was an engineer, Moncan is completed at the end of the XIXème century.
The Manor House was then sold next to Eugène The Coupanec in 1873, to the Marquis de Brisay in 1891 and to the brothers Martin in 1914. During the First World War, Moncan accommodated the military officers recovering from tuberculosis. At the end of the conflict, the major Vicel acquires the house. His heiresses had to undergo the German occupation. Indeed, Moncan became a rest place for the German submariners. The nephew of the sisters Vicel, the Major Riou, and his wife inherit Moncan in 1968. Mr. and Mrs Perroud buy it in 1988 then sell it to the current owners in 2001. Various internal and exterior restoration works have been engaged since in order to give again to Moncan all its beauty.
Extracts of the annual bulletin n°3 of the Société d’Histoire et d’Archéologie du Pays d’Auray, « Visite du Manoir de Moncan » by Pierre Robino, Erwan Le Franc, M. and Ms Guillou.